Prohibited goods are those goods for which importation and exportation have been completely banned for reasons linked to health, environment, protection of endangered species of flora and fauna, security, legislation etc. These items shall be liable to forfeiture by customs and the person may be liable to a penalty. Contact us if in doubt of items that cannot be imported or exported.
This list is subject to change at any time and it is your duty to view and get updated on any changes:
Prohibited items to Import into Nigeria Prohibited items to export from Nigeria
1. Live or dead birds including frozen poultry.
2. Pork, beef, bird’s eggs, excluding hatching eggs.
3. Refined vegetable oils and fats (includes mayonnaise). Crude vegetable oil is NOT banned from importation.
4. Cane or beet sugar and chemically pure sucrose, in solid form in retail packs.
5. Cocoa butter, powder and cakes.
7. Fruit Juice in retail packs.
8. Waters, including mineral waters and aerated waters containing added sugar or sweetening matter or flavored, ice snow, other non-alcoholic beverages and beer and stout (bottled, canned or otherwise packed, but excluding energy or health drinks (liquid dietary supplements).
9. Bagged cement.
10. Medicaments (Paracetamol tablets and syrups; Cotrimoxazole tablets and syrups; Metronidazole tablets and syrups; Chloroquine tablets and syrups etc)
11. Soaps and Detergents in retail packs only.
12. Mosquito Repellant Coils.
13. Sanitary Wares of Plastics and Domestic Articles and Wares of Plastics (but excluding Baby Feeding bottles) and flushing cistern and waterless toilets.
14. Rethreaded and used Pneumatic tires but excluding used trucks tires for rethreading of sized 11.00 x 20 and above.
15. Carpets and other textile floor coverings.
16. Used compressors and used fridges/freezers.
17. Used Motor Vehicles above fifteen (15) years from the year of manufacture.
18. Ball Point Pens and parts including refills (excluding tip).
19. Airmail Photographic Printing Paper.
20. All counterfeit/pirated materials or articles including Base or Counterfeit Coin of any Country.
21. Meat, Vegetables or other provisions declared by a health officer to be unfit for human consumption.
22. Nuclear Industrial waste and other Toxic waste
23. Weapons and ammunition of any description which in the opinion of the Comptroller-General are designed for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other similar substance.
27. Palm kernel/Palm oil products/vegetables oils
28. Meat and processed meat products
29. Vegetables and processed vegetable products
30. Poultry chicken, eggs, turkey
31. Private airplanes/jets
32. Indian incense
33. Tinned fish in sauce (Geisha)/sardines
34. Cold rolled steel sheets
35. Galvanized steel sheets
36. Roofing sheets
38. Head pans
39. Metal boxes and containers
41. Steel drums
42. Steel pipes
43. Wire rods (deformed and not deformed)
44. Iron rods and reinforcing bard
45. Wire mesh
46. Steel nails
47. Security and razor wire
48. Wood particle boards and panels
49. Wood Fibre Boards and Panels
50. Plywood boards and panels
51. Wooden doors
53. Glass and Glassware
54. Kitchen utensils
56. Tiles-vitrified and ceramic
58. Woven fabrics
60. Plastic and rubber products, polypropylene granules, cellophane wrappers
61. Soap and cosmetics
62. Tomatoes/tomato pastes
63. Eurobond/foreign currency bond/share purchases
Prohibited items to export from Nigeria
2. Timber (rough or sawn)
3. Raw hides and skin (including Wet Blue and all unfinished leather) H.S. Codes 4101.2000.00 – 4108.9200.00
6. Scrap Metals
7. Unprocessed rubber latex and rubber lumps
Artifacts and Antiquities
Wildlife animals classified as endangered species and their products e.g. Crocodile; Elephant, Lizard, Eagle,
Monkey, Zebra, Lion etc.
All goods imported
Please note that the list is non-exclusive and may be updated from time to time by customs, you are therefore advised to visit here. ( https://customs.gov.ng/?page_id=3075 )